Who doesn’t love chilli paste? Chilli brings a beautiful essence of raw pepper to any dish when it includes. Not only is it great for those big family dishes, but even better for those small side snacks to bring you a different culture of flavours with each meal.
In this article, you’ll learn just what you need to make chilli paste and how to make it so that it lasts you a week at a time. Not only that, discover six incredible ways to use the paste on a variety of different meals and bites for you and the family, and five types of chilli paste to make if you feel like mixing things up with each other dinner.
How to Make Chili Paste
There are many ways to make chilli paste, but the best method is to use a fresh batch of chilli peppers and all-natural ingredients. The recommended ingredients you use are:
- Chopped chilli peppers – 1 pound
- Chopped garlic cloves – 2
- Chopped small shallots – 2
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Cumin – a teaspoon
After you have accumulated your ingredients, the next step is to make the chilli paste. The process is simple and only takes around 30-40 minutes to complete. The best part is that it will last you around a week.
Follow these cooking directions to make chilli paste:
- Get a food processor. Add peppers, garlic, and shallots and process them until that finely chopped.
- Transfer the ingredients from the food processor to a pot and add the olive oil. Heat the stove to low and leave to cook for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes, add seasonings and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool. Once cool, transfer back into the food processor and process until the mixture is smooth.
- When finished, transfer into a jar or tub and leave in the refrigerator until use.
6 Ways to Use Chili Paste
Chilli paste is almost remarkable to use for everything, but there are those perfect moments where chilli paste rocks your meal. Here are six ways to use chilli paste:
- Add it to your soups for that extra flavour and added heat
- Use it as a spread on your rolls and sandwiches
- Spread it on your burgers or meatloaf
- Rub it over your fish or chicken
- Add it to your stew
- Make a dip out of it by mixing it with other flavours such as mayo
5 Types of Chili Paste to Make
The above recipe for chilli paste is using fresh chillis. There are other ways to make chilli paste with varying ingredients to provide you with a different flavour for different meals. Five types of chilli paste to make include:
- BiberSalcasi – made with Turkish Red Peppers
- Gochujang – made with Korean red chilis
- Harissa – made with Tunisian hot chilis, spices, and herbs
- Jaew Bong – made with sweet and spicy Laotian chilis
- Yuzukosho – made with chilli peppers, yuzu peel, and salt
The best part of making chilli paste is you can make it yours and add as much of the ingredients as you want to make it spicier, hotter, and more. This article gives you the basic recipe for making chilli paste for both your big family meals or those sneaky snacks that everyone loves.